Confessional Friday: A Day in the Life

Greetings, gals. Here it is already Friday and time for confessing once again! Is it just me, or is this summer going by at warp speed?

Alright. So.

As promised, today we’ll all (in theory) be providing a little insight into our day-to-day lives, complete with all the real-life stuff.

Now, I’ll go ahead and tell you that this particular day was uncharacteristically mundane. Usually, I can be found performing neurosurgery, base jumping, wrestling gators, drinking Dom Perignon and trying on my latest Reem Acra gown. And gracing the catwalks in my skivvies as a Victoria’s Secret model.

Except not.

No, folks. This is about as exciting as it gets and frankly, I wouldn’t want it any other way. There is something to be said for “uneventful” days. (Can I get an ‘amen’?)

A few things about my day-to-day

Monday, Wednesday and Friday, I’m home with the little bambina. On those days, I spend time letting Caroline play outside, taking her for walks, packing our house for the move, cleaning our house, catching up on laundry, running errands and working on dinner prep while the little lady naps.

On Tuesday and Thursday of each week, I work as a copywriter for a public relations firm. Now, a lot of people hear my title and go, “Oh! You work on all that legal stuff!” The answer is a hard no. No, I don’t “do” legal stuff. That would be an attorney and that is called a copyright.

I write copy, i.e. words. I’m a creative writer who puts words together for commercial and TV scripts, tweets, ads, billboards, RFPs and websites. And for some pretty major brands and clients. Gotta say, it's pretty much the most fun job ever.

Sample Day


6:00 a.m. – Get up, zombie walk into the kitchen and blindly hit the “go” button on the Keurig. Open Caroline’s nursery door in hopes that the noise from the Keurig will wake her up.

6:04 a.m. – Realize that the coffee maker noise didn’t do the trick, so I resort to waking her up myself. I have to brace myself for this part. She HATES being forced out of her cozy slumber and screams. Loudly. It's a lovely way to start the morning. (She enjoys sleep, just like her momma.)

6:10 a.m. – Feed a perturbed Caroline, who becomes much less perturbed after her tummy is full. So I set her up in her Exersaucer with an episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse while I get ready for work.

7:10 a.m. – Stephen leaves for work. Gives Caroline and I a kiss and grabs his laptop. Then,  he's off. It's also about this time that I remember that I forgot to make C’s bottles and prepare her food the night before. So, I scramble to put together bottles, and pack sweet potatoes, green beans and squash into little Tupperware containers.

7:30 a.m. – Get Caroline dressed and make sure the dogs are fed and Ruby is in her crate for the day.

7:50 a.m. – Leave the house and take Caroline to daycare.

8:10 a.m. – Leave the daycare and head to my office in Fayetteville! 

(It is usually by this time that I'm sweating...errr, glistening. Profusely. That kid is heavy and it takes every ounce of strength to haul that carrier into the daycare.)

8:30 a.m. – Creative Team meeting where we discuss ongoing projects, Game of Thrones and World Cup happenings ; ) (Have I mentioned I LOVE being a part of the Creative Team?)

9:30 a.m. – Get. Busy. On this particular day, I write commercial scripts for one of our agency’s clients, a fun outdoor company who specializes in fishing gear.

9:45 a.m. – Realize that I know nothing about fishing or said gear, so I text my husband for help.

Noon – Come to the realization that lunch may not happen and resort to eating Cheeze-Its, Reese’s cups and anything else I can scrounge up in the lounge.

1:00 p.m. – Get a text from my friend Taylor regarding something we’d seen on Instagram and laugh uncontrollably at my desk. Get stares from nearby co-workers.

2:00 p.m. – Get word from doctor’s office that all the prenatal tests came back great on Baby #2 – wahoo!

3:30 p.m. – Conduct a call with a co-worker in our satellite office (in NYC) about a series of social posts we’re doing for a client.

4:00 p.m. – Catch a glimpse of myself in the bathroom mirror and realize I’m showing a whole lot quicker with this baby – wowza!

4:59 p.m. - Read the last email of the day, gather my oodles of crap and prepare to depart. 

5:00 p.m. – Head home to my lover and my sweet baby girl. (My lover and my husband are one in the same. Just in case you were like, "WHAA??!"

5:30-8:00 p.m. – Feed and bathe Caroline, read her a book or two, spend some time hanging out as a family and go on a late-night stroller walk.

8:00 p.m. РBaby goes down for the night and Stephen and I make up a quick dinner of grilled shrimp, saut̩ed green beans and corn on the cob, which we devour over an episode of Orange is the New Black.

9:00 p.m. – Stephen and I spend some time catching up on our day and finalizing a punch list for the new house. Then we watch a YouTube video about a baby cheetah and a puppy who are best friends at the San Diego zoo. 

10:30 p.m. – S goes to bed to watch ESPN highlights and I finish up typing some emails and a quick blog post for the next day before joining him.

Now, if that isn't riveting content, then I...okay, yeah. It's pretty boring. But awesome, at least to me. It's full of love and happy stuff and laughter. And chips and salsa. Just the way I like it.

Your turn, chicas!


  1. Amen to the uneventful, sweet girl! These days are the best days:) And I SO remember the days of carting a heavy baby into daycare in the carrier. The sheen of sweat induced by that activity was always a lovely way to start the day. In no time at all, sweet Caroline will be graduating to a big girl car seat, and you won't be doing any more carrier carting - hallelujah! Although, in a few months, you'll be carting a new baby around in the carrier:) Happy weekend, Leslie!

  2. I completely forgot about doing the "Day In The Life" version of Confessional Friday but decided to join the link up anyway. Sometimes "uneventful" days are the best days, especially if you get to spend them with family.

  3. Finished mine on the train. Will link back to you when I get back to work. Your content is more riveting than mine, buddy. And if that isn't an advertisement to go read it, I don't know what is.

  4. Your day in the life makes me homesick for Fayetteville!

  5. I got lucky and just happened to have an eventful Thursday. Most of my days (at least during the summer) are spent in front of the TV in work out clothes! :)

    Loved joining in for this Link Up, thanks for hosting it!

  6. I loved reading it! I'm just sorry I wasn't able to get my act together fast enough to post my day. But I'm going try to keep track either Saturday or Sunday and take pictures throughout my day!

  7. Posts like this are so fun! Given that the school year doesn't start for a few more weeks, my post would have been miserably short. "Woke up. Watched TV. Cooked dinner. Went to bed." I'll definitely have to link up next Friday though!

  8. Thanks for sharing a sneak peek into your routine! I also work at a PR company and therefore chuckled at the "Copywriter" vs. "Copyright". Hilar.

  9. Thanks for sharing! Sounds like a perfect routine! :)


What'cha got?