One of the biggest challenges I’ve faced during this pregnancy hasn’t been the nausea. It hasn’t been the uncomfortable, sleepless nights. It hasn’t even been the (recent) swollen ankles.
It has been learning to live in the moment.
I think we Type A people tend to spend 80% of our lives planning and the other 20% actually living out our plans. We prefer our days orderly and expected. We like “to-do” lists and schedules; in fact, we thrive on them.
I realized last week that we (my baby girl and me) only have three months left of this pregnancy journey. My initial reaction was, “Oh my gosh, we still don’t have a Pack n' Play or a glider!” And that reaction was quickly followed by, “And I still haven’t taken a 26 week Bumpdate photo yet…I’ve got to document this week.”
Then I got a swift kick in the gut.
Caroline let me have it – and hard. It was like she was saying, “Quit stressing. Enjoy this, Mom. We only have three more months left together.”
And it’s true; there are only 90 days left of this incredible process of growing a human. Only 90 more days of sharing the same body. Although we’ll (Lord willing) have her with us for many years to come, she and I will never get to spend time this closely together again.
My mission throughout the next three months is to savor every kick and movement. I want to spend more time sitting quietly on my couch with my hand on my bump. I want to spend less time Googling weird pregnancy symptoms and just allow things to happen.
There will be plenty of time for stress and worry for our baby girl when she gets here. Until then, I’m going to drink in each moment of this time.
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you; plans to give you a hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11 NIV